1. Line a rimmed cookie sheet (approximately 11 x 17″, 28 x 42cm) completely with foil, making sure the foil goes up and over the edges. Spray the foil with vegetable oil spray. Preheat the oven to 400ºF
2. Line the bottom of the sheet with matzo, breaking extra pieces as necessary to fill in any spaces.
3. In a 3-4-quart saucepan, melt the butter and brown sugar together, and cook over medium heat, stirring, until the butter is melted and the mixture is beginning to boil. Boil for 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, add the salt and vanilla, and pour over matzo. Working quickly, spread the caramel with a heatproof spatula.
4. Put the pan in the oven. Bake for 5 minutes.
5. Remove from oven.
6. In the interim, melt the white chocolate and oil in a double boiler. Spread half of the chocolate over the matzo base and then spread the second half evenly.
Place in the freezer for 20 minutes, then remove from the freezer and break into pieces and store in an airtight container until ready to serve. It should keep well for about one week.
Enjoy! Charlotte Goldblatt
RAISE YOUR SPIRITS AND GET THE DISH!