As a single woman and red wine lover, I am often left with the dilemma of what to do with a delicious leftover half bottle of pinot noir, or other unused wine that shouldn't be wasted before it loses it's glorious flavor.
Although I often use the leftover vino as a base for a marinade or a delicious relish, this time the perfect pairing is with the two boxes of button and baby bella mushrooms sitting in my refrigerator just waiting to be enhanced.
And so wino mushrooms are born…..
Why mushrooms? They are nutritionally beneficial and aid in maintaining good health. Mushrooms are a wonderful substitute for meat, taste delicious and absorb whatever flavors they are cooked with or are marinated in.
These mushrooms make a wonderful appetizer served with bread and cheese, as well as a perfect topping to a salad or crostini. This is truly a great way to use leftover wine.
I like the food friendly pinot noir for this recipe, but it works equally well with other light or medium bodied reds.
- 2 pounds button mushrooms
- 1 stick of butter
- 1/2 bottle fruity red wine
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint, thyme or basil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- Wash the mushrooms and cut in half
- Place in a large crockpot.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients except the salt and herbs.
- Cook covered on high setting for about five or six hours.
- Remove the lid and continue cooking, uncovered until liquid is absorbed (about 2 or 3 hours).
- Salt and Pepper to taste.
- Serve warm or refrigerator for up to 5 days.
RAISE YOUR SPIRITS AND GET THE DISH!